Emory Healthcare/Emory University Animal Care Trainee (Vivarium) in Atlanta, Georgia
Discover Your Career at Emory University
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
Dedicated to discovering causes, prevention, treatments, and cures, Yerkes National Primate Research Center (NPRC) is fighting diseases and improving human health and lives worldwide. One of seven NPRCs funded by the NIH, Yerkes conducts studies that make breakthrough discoveries possible. Learn more at http://www.yerkes.emory.edu. Collaborate. Innovate. Serve. These three simple words capture what we do at Yerkes to help advance science and improve the health and well-being of humans and non-human primates.
The Division of Animal Resources at the Yerkes National Primate Research Center at Emory University is currently seeking a full time Animal Care Trainee to join our dedicated Animal Care team to assist with husbandry and activities related to the daily operations of the NHP. Observing all established guidelines for proper care and welfare of the animals, the ideal candidate will be motivated, dependable, detail-oriented, have a positive attitude and compassion for both animals and people. If you are someone with lab animal experience (preferably NHP) who is familiar with animal observations and cagewash duties, this is an amazing opportunity to indirectly save and change lives and make a positive impact in the science and research community.
The Animal Care Trainee ensure the cleanliness of the facility and the maintenance of adequate supplies of food and bedding materials, including PPE. The Animal Care Trainee will work together with other technicians according to a schedule prepared by the Assistant Operations Manager and must be willing and able to rotate through all Yerkes DAR facilities. The Animal Care Trainee ensure the highest quality of laboratory animal care and research support, and has good communication skills with co-workers, the management team, PI’s, research staff, students, and other support services. This position reports directly to the Animal Care Supervisor. This position is considered essential and requires some weekend and holiday work as part of a rotating schedule.
Collaborate. Innovate. Serve. These three simple words capture what we do at Yerkes to help advance science and improve the health and well-being of humans and non-human primates. If you are someone with animal care experience, this is an amazing opportunity to indirectly save and change lives and make a positive impact in the science and research community.
• Learns to perform routine duties associated with animal care in a research setting such as feeding, administering medication, maintaining sanitary conditions, observation, restraint and minor cage maintenance
• Operates cage washers and ensures that equipment is in proper working order
• May assist in the collection of blood, urine and feces from animals for medical research
• Performs related responsibilities as required
• Employees in this classification may be required to work with, take specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents
• The ability to lift up to 75 pounds
• Positions in this classification may require a valid Georgia driver's license and an insurable driving record
• Demonstrated outstanding working habits, including the ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Demonstrated ability to work in an animal research environment requiring continuous contact with animals
• Demonstrated ability to understand established guidelines for humane care and welfare of laboratory animals as described by AAALAC
• Working knowledge of hygiene principles, safety protocols, and basic animal husbandry
• Communication skills, including the ability to write and understand English and to follow written and oral instructions
• Certifications issued by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
• Experience working in a biosafety environment
• Demonstrated computer skills proficiency
• Hours/Weekends/Holidays - Monday through Friday alternating weekends and Holidays
• This position has an indoor/outdoor work environment that may require working in inclement weather conditions.
• This position also requires exposure to bio hazards and potentially dangerous animals.
• Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions
• Maintains adequate inventory of necessary supplies and equipment.
• Assists with performs minor repairs and maintains animal housing facility
• Work is normally performed in a typical laboratory environment
• Requires the ability to lift up to 75 lbs. as well as move/push heavy racks a short distance
• Requires the ability to bend, kneel, and/or squat
PRE-EMPLOYMENT SCREENING STATEMENT:
Yerkes NPRC in conjunction with Emory University conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which may include an INA and criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications, drug screening, and health assessment. Employment is contingent upon a clear background screening.
NOTE: Position tasks are required to be performed in-person at an Emory University location; working remote is not an option. Emory reserves the right to change this status with notice to employee.
Emory Supports a Diverse and Inclusive Culture
To ensure the safety of our campus community, the COVID-19 vaccine is required. For more information on the University and Hospital policies and potential exemptions, please see our website.
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322. Telephone: 404-727-9867 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD).
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Connect With Us!
Connect with us for general consideration!
Job Number 81971
Job Type Regular Full-Time
Division Yerkes National Primate Resear
Department YRK: Vivarium
This position may involve the following Health and Safety issues: Potential exposure to hazardous chemicals., Working with animals., Working with nonhuman primates (nhp), nhp tissue, body fluids or equipment contaminated by nhp.
Job Category Laboratory
Location : Name Emory Campus-Clifton Corridor
Campus Location (For Posting) : Location US-GA-Atlanta
Emory Healthcare/Emory University
- Emory Healthcare/Emory University Jobs