Emory Healthcare/Emory University Assistant/Associate Professor - General Surgery Medical Bariatrician in Atlanta, Georgia
Discover Your Career at Emory University
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future.We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
SUMMARY OF CLINICAL DUTIES AND OTHER EXPECTATIONS:
• Provide comprehensive care for bariatric patients presenting for surgical and nonsurgical management
• Manage bariatric surgery patients postoperatively with special attention to overall nutrition and micronutrient status, as well as activity and lifestyle habits
• Diagnose and manage complications of bariatric surgery, with appropriate communication/interaction/discussion/referral with the surgical team when appropriate
• Manage pre-surgical bariatric patients (going through an insurance mandated pre-surgical supervised diet) through a streamlined, evidence based preoperative process to reduce unnecessary preoperative testing, improve efficiency of patient flow through the preoperative bariatric surgery process, and to reduce postoperative complications (This includes but is not limited to universal screening for obstructive sleep apnea, smoking cessation, and diabetic control in our pre-surgical patients in order to optimize postoperative results)
• Be able to help mentor, educate, and develop trainees (med students, residents, PA students) clinically through practice-site rotation activities and didactically when they rotate through Medical Bariatrics as an elective rotation
• Improve trainee and faculty education in the field of Medical Bariatrics and Lifestyle Medicine (Grand Rounds, Lunch & Learns, medical and PA school lectures, etc.)
• Comprehensively manage patients as they progress through one of our many nonsurgical, medical weight management and lifestyle medicine programs
• Manage patients’ weight and weight related comorbidities individually and on an ongoing basis
• Provide appropriate pharmacotherapy for weight and food addiction management when appropriate
• Provide care in an evidence-based manner rather than based on personal beliefs, preferences, or anecdotal experience
• Be comfortable managing obesity related comorbidities
• Be comfortable working with an interdisciplinary team consisting of bariatric surgeons, APP’s, RD’s, RN’s, psychologists, administrative staff.
• Be actively involved with program outreach – presenting at Lunch &Learns, corporate events, Grand Rounds, etc.
• Be comfortable with public speaking and telemedicine visits
• Serve as an attending bariatrician at any of the Emory Bariatric sites as deemed necessary by the Section leader over time. This may include: EUHM, EUH, ESJH, Emory Decatur, EJCH, etc.
• Participate in the development of unique and collaborative research specific to the care of the obese
• Board certified in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine
• Certified or eligible for certification as a Bariatrician and/or Lifestyle Medicine physician
• A valid, unrestricted medical license to practice medicine in the State of Georgia
• A controlled Substance Registration Drug Enforcement Administration Certificate
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
Emory Supports a Diverse and Inclusive Culture
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322. Telephone: 404-727-9867 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD).
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply?
Job Number 62698
Job Type Regular Full-Time
Division School Of Medicine
Department SOM: Surgery: General
Location : Name Emory University Hospital
This position may involve the following Health and Safety issues: Working with human blood, body fluids, tissues, or other potentially infectious materials.
Emory Healthcare/Emory University
- Emory Healthcare/Emory University Jobs