Emory Healthcare/Emory University Engineering Specialist (Lawrenceville, GA) in Atlanta, Georgia
Discover Your Career at Emory University
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
Dedicated to discovering causes, prevention, treatments, and cures, Emory National Primate Research Center (NPRC) is fighting diseases and improving human health and lives worldwide. One of seven NPRCs funded by the NIH, Yerkes conducts studies that make breakthrough discoveries possible. Learn more at http://www.yerkes.emory.edu
The department of Operations and Maintenance at the Emory National Primate Research Center at Emory University is currently seeking a full time Engineering Specialist to join our team located at our Field Station in Lawrenceville, GA. The Emory Operation and Maintenance team maintains the safe operation and maintenance of building facilities which include electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems. We are responsible for operating and maintaining specific equipment, preventive maintenance activities, responding to customer needs, and repairing equipment. We rapidly and appropriately respond to emergency events such as leaks, floods, power outages, or any other situation which could adversely affect humans, animals, and/or research at the Center. This can include responding quickly and appropriately to remote notification alarms including animal housing temperature, pressure, and humidity alarms, laboratory freezer alarms, and other space condition and equipment status alarms.
Collaborate. Innovate. Serve. These three simple words capture what we do at Yerkes to help advance science and improve the health and well-being of humans and non-human primates. If you are someone with maintenance experience, this is an amazing opportunity to indirectly save and change lives and make a positive impact in the science and research community.
The ideal candidate should be motivated, dependable, and have good communication skills. The Engineer Specialist may perform boiler blow-downs in the absence of the stationary engineer. Responds to work orders assigned by the department supervisor. Works in high containment areas when necessary. This involves getting the proper vaccinations, wearing personal protection equipment (PPE), and attending regularly scheduled training sessions. High containment areas can include biosafety level 3 (BSL3) facilities, animal holding rooms, confined space, and others. Works closely with maintenance shop and assists when needed for other building system related tasks. The hours for this position are Monday – Friday 7:30 AM until 4:00 PM.
• Reads and interprets blueprints, drawings, schematics and written technical machinery documents to troubleshoot areas and make repairs accurately.
• Abides by and monitors staff compliance with applicable federal and state regulations.
• Uses personal protective equipment as required.
• Maintains the safe operation and maintenance of building facilities, electrical and mechanical systems and plumbing.
• Is responsible for operating and maintaining specific equipment, conducting surveys and inventories, performing preventive maintenance activities, responding to customer complaints and repairing equipment.
• Installs and Maintains Hydraulic and Pneumatic systems
• Installs and Maintains Water/Gas/Sewer Mains
• Operates Heavy Equipment
• Maintains Vehicle Fleet Gas/Elec/Diesel
• Performs related responsibilities as required.
• Fills in as after-hours on call mechanic when conditions dictate.
• A high school diploma or equivalent. Three years of experience in the repair and maintenance of a research facility, research or general equipment or a machine shop.
• Working knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, electrical, structural and general carpentry
• Have experience in maintaining commercial facilities during off-hours with no other maintenance staff present.
• The ideal candidate will have experience with health-care, research, laboratory and/or other critical/biomedical facilities.
• Experience with a commercial building automation system (BAS) is a plus.
• Working knowledge of metal working tools and equipment.
• Able to demonstrate proficiency in various welding techniques MIG/TIG/Stick
• Involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions
• Requires the ability to lift up to 100 lbs. as well as the ability to bend, kneel, and/or squat, move/push heavy racks a short distance
• This position is required to have the proper vaccinations, wear personal protection equipment (PPE), and attend regularly scheduled training sessions.
• High containment areas including biosafety level 3 (BSL3) facilities, animal holding rooms, confined space, and others.
• Involves working in the elements, cold/heat/rain/snow
PRE-EMPLOYMENT SCREENING STATEMENT:
Yerkes NPRC in conjunction with Emory University conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which may include an INA and criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications, drug screening, and health assessment. Employment is contingent upon a clear background screening.
Emory Supports a Diverse and Inclusive Culture
To ensure the safety of our campus community, the COVID-19 vaccine is required. For more information on the University and Hospital policies and potential exemptions, please see our website.
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322. Telephone: 404-727-9867 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD).
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Connect With Us!
Connect with us for general consideration!
Job Number 91777
Job Type Regular Full-Time
Division Yerkes National Primate Resear
Department YRK: O&M Field Station
This position may involve the following Health and Safety issues: Potential exposure to hazardous chemicals., Working with nonhuman primates (nhp), nhp tissue, body fluids or equipment contaminated by nhp.
Job Category Facility Support & Building Maintenance
Campus Location (For Posting) : City Atlanta
Location : Name Emory Campus-Clifton Corridor
Emory Healthcare/Emory University
- Emory Healthcare/Emory University Jobs