Emory Healthcare/Emory University Software Engineer, Sr- Madabhushi in Atlanta, Georgia
Discover Your Career at Emory University
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
Working with a high degree of independence under limited supervision, the Medical Image Analysis and Biomedical Software Engineer will apply the principles of software engineering to the design, development, maintenance, testing and evaluation of digital pathology software for both research and clinical applications. Duties include improving operations by conducting systems analysis and determining operational feasibility when developing scientific projects within the AI Institute for Health. The software development engineer will be the lead software developer and work closely with the principal investigator of federally awarded grants to develop software and meet the designated milestones/ deadlines outlined in the research plan. The work requires that the software engineer investigate a number of possible variables and often there are no precedents for the choices that must be made.
• Develop and optimize web-style tools for the segmentation, quality control, and interrogation of digital pathology images. In all instances, an extensive validation of the tools is needed to ensure they are suitable for use by lay people (i.e., testing, identifying and addressing bugs) as well as the evaluation of the tools in the context of performing a series of experiments for publications. Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues. (65%)
• Participate in strategy and planning meetings with the center director, principal investigators, and the research team to ascertain needs and actions associated with the research projects and the associated research goals. (10%)
• Perform detailed functional, statistical analysis. Write reports including conclusions drawn from the research findings. (10%)
• Interact with the appropriate research associate and/or graduate student to help them utilize the tools being created in the assigned project and receive their feedback when the tools are evaluated. Mentor and supervise undergraduate researchers who will work on the team. (7%)
• Update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment. Participate in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations. (6%)
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned (2%)
Department: Daily contact with the director, research faculty and other team members to discuss the software needs and development plans.
University: Occasional to frequent contact with research collaborators from different departments to discuss the new technologies and software needs.
External: Occasional to frequent contact with collaborators at Emory Healthcare, Winship Cancer Center, Atlanta Childrens Hospital and the Atlanta VA Medical Center, and with collaborators at collaborating institutions to exchange information.
Students: Contact with center graduate students to cover their software needs for research, provide explanation, training and help in developing programming skills. Moderate contact with undergraduate students to explain the application of software policies.
Supervise undergraduate students and/or temporary staff hired to assist with specific projects.
Experience: 3 to 5 years of experience working with medical image analysis and software development tasks directly tied to having medical images as their inputs.
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in computer science or related engineering. A Master’s degree in computer science or biomedical engineering, with a focus on image analysis and software development is preferred.
• Expert knowledge of python and relevant packages including, scikit-image, scikit-learn, numpy, scipy, matplotlib. Experience with openslide a strong plus
• Experience with git, linux, bash, docker, databases, Ray, networking, and high-performance/distributed computing
• Proven knowledge of medical image analysis and ability to build tools specifically to analyze images. Strong conceptual and analytical skills to find solutions to complex problems.
• Deep understanding of the software industry standard concepts and best practices. Solid understanding of delivery methodology and leading teams in implementation of the solution according to the design/architecture.
• Knowledge of machine learning methods and deep learning frameworks a plus. Strong preference for Pytorch
• Professional and effective oral and written communications skills. Must be able to clearly relay information to the center director and other researchers and prepare reports as needed. Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
• Effective management skills; ability to lead, train, work with, and elicit cooperation from team members and staff.
• Ability to meet consistent attendance.
• Ability to learn and apply new ideas, techniques, processes, policies, functions, etc. Must be highly motivated and a self-starter.
• A willingness to acquire further skills and to train research team members (including students) on those skills.
The working conditions are typical of an office environment and computer rooms. There will be no exposure to hazards. The work requires negligible physical exertion, however, limited manual dexterity is required.
Identifies, designs, develops, implements, and revises software applications to meet business needs.
Supports software applications and associated operating systems.
Programs, analyzes and writes specifications. Devises solutions to system problems.
Develops and tests applications; makes revisions to improve functionality.
Develops and analyzes the effectiveness of new applications and test procedures.
Writes and edits reports to provide recommendations, conclusions and other data.
Performs related responsibilities as required.
A bachelor's degree in computer science, math, engineering or a related field and three years of related experience in programming and software systems or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge of software development in a research institution context preferred.
NOTE: Position tasks are generally required to be performed in-person at an Emory University location. Remote work from home day options may be granted at department discretion. Emory reserves the right to change remote work status with notice to employee.
Emory Supports a Diverse and Inclusive Culture
To ensure the safety of our campus community, the COVID-19 vaccine is required. For more information on the University and Hospital policies and potential exemptions, please see our website.
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322.
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Connect With Us!
Connect with us for general consideration!
Job Number 98324
Job Type Regular Full-Time
Division School Of Medicine
Department SOM: BME: Admin
This position may involve the following Health and Safety issues: Not Applicable
Job Category Information Technology
Campus Location (For Posting) : City Atlanta
Location : Name Emory Campus-Clifton Corridor
Emory Healthcare/Emory University
- Emory Healthcare/Emory University Jobs